Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 2009 07:30:19 -0500
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "R. Aditya Kadambi" <rakadambi@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/136806: [patch] graphics/libdrm: update to 2.4.12

--=-muC9du/89rcvu0UHKoKX

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 08:20 -0400, R. Aditya Kadambi wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 11:00:19 GMT
> > From: Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
> > Subject: Re: ports/136806: [patch] graphics/libdrm: update to 2.4.12;
> > To: freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org
> >
> > The following reply was made to PR ports/136806; it has been noted by
> > GNATS.
> >
> > From: Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
> > To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, swell.k@gmail.com
> > Subject: Re: ports/136806: [patch] graphics/libdrm: update to 2.4.12;
> > Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 05:43:28 -0500
> >
> >  --=3D-jfJGtl4SKtrXLXwT40jm
> >
> >  I don't see any value enabling libdrm_radeon right now... AFAIK, it on=
ly
> >  provides the TTM/GEM api which we don't have support for.
> >
> >  Otherwise, this all looks fine.
> >
> >  robert.
> >
> >  --=3D20
> >  Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
> >  FreeBSD
>=20
>=20
> Is there any work on getting KMS/memory manager (for ATI cards) into the
> FreeBSD kernel? . I see some activity in the mesa/drm tree

I'm not actively working on it right now... Radeon is using TTM as the
backend, while presenting a GEM api to userland.  Nouveau will do the
same thing.  Via will also use the TTM backend, though I'm not certain
how it will present to userland.  I still haven't managed to get my
hands on any VIA hardware, so I'm a bit out of the loop there.

As far as KMS goes, I anticipate much of the code for
Intel/Radeon/Nouveau to be fairly portable.  The tricky part is figuring
out how to hook it into our console rendering code, which I still don't
fully understand.  We will also need to figure out how to handle
hardware that we don't have KMS support for.

robert.