Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 00:50:52 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <francisco@natserv.com>
To:        "FreeBSD questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   New at server setup (samba). Partitioning question (long)

Soon I will have a a new computer (ordered today) to run Samba for a
small office.

I convinced the people paying for the computer to let me get 2 drives
and I was thinking on the following strategy:

Disk1
<swap>
/
/usr
/var
/data <backup: see notes below>

Disk 2
<swap>
/
/usr
/var
/data <active: see notes below>

I would like FreeBSD to boot off disk 1, use Swaps from both drives and
use the "/data" from Disk 2 as the data volume. I want "/data" from
Disk 1 to have the previous day's data.

In case the first disk died I would like to be able to boot off Disk 2.

Questions:
-What is the best way to syncronise the volumes. Note that /data will
be going from disk 2 to disk 1, while everything else would go the
other way.

-What is a reasonable swap size? Will have 96MB of ram and two 6Gig
drives. Max number of users expected is 10. Is there an easy way to
guesstimate minimun swap spaces?

-Planning to make /data 5Gig. Should I split it in two to speed up
dump/restores?  Planning to backup that volume first so it is first
data set in tape.

-I was considering making /usr/X11R6 and man directories into separate
volumes and to dump them at the end of the tape. I figure this would be
the least likely thing to need to be restored so anything else under
/usr would restore quicker.

The reasons for the second data volume besides guarding against drive
failure is to have the files easily available. Since unix deletes files
inmediately if someone deletes some files they will be available on the
backup volume (read only).

Any general comments on the setup appreciated.