Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 05:27:45 +0900 (JST)
From:      hosokawa@itc.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
To:        nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        imp@village.org, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, hosokawa@itc.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: usr.sbin/pccard/pccardd change for "cardio" and "cardmem"

In article <199907211725.LAA26802@mt.sri.com>
nate@mt.sri.com writes:

>> > : > 	function serial
>> > : > 		config default "sio4" any
>> > : > 		cardio any 8
>> > : >
>> > : > 	function fixed_disk
>> > : > 		config default "wdc2" any
>> > : > 		cardio any 16
>> > :
>> > : And these do what?
>> >
>> > Seems obvious to me that they say
>> > 	"I want you to bind any PCCARD who claims to be a serial card
>> > 	to sio4, at a multiple of 8 offset"
>>
>> What does 'a multiple of 8 offset' mean?  It doesn't mean a lot to me,
>> and I'm pretty familiar with the code.

Allocate any free I/O area whose size is 8.

>> > 	"I want you to bind any PCCARD who claims to be a fixed disk
>> > 	to wdc2, aligned on a 16 byte offset"
>>
>> See above.
>>
>> > Rather than having 1000000000000 entries for modems, compact flash, etc.
>>
>> How do you recognize it's an SIO/WD/ATA card?

PC-card has function code in tupple for fixed disk, serial, network,
scsi, etc.  De-facto starndaed for fixed disk is ATA and 16xxx
compatible for serial (I don't know the exceptions).

If they are not compatible, xxproble don't probe them like traditional
ISA probe and nothing happens.

--
HOSOKAWA, Tatsumi
Assistant Manager