Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 1997 09:09:00 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Lee Kim Yuan <kimyuan@pc.jaring.my>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tandberg TDC3820 on BSD 4.3 ?

On Fri, Oct 10, 1997 at 07:32:26PM +0800, Lee Kim Yuan wrote:
> Hello list memebers
>
> Could anyone please advice me in DETAIL how to install a Tandberg
> TDC3820 on a BSD 4.3 machine ?

What kind of 4.3BSD machine?  A VAX?  Sorry, this would be the wrong
forum.  I can tell you how to install it on a FreeBSD machine, though.

> You see we normally use Tandberg on Windows / Netware environment,
> but there is this important customers of ours who wants to use it
> on the BSD system, which I have very little knowledge in.
>
> I would appreciate greatly for your advice.

1.  Check that the machine has a SCSI host adapter and a cable with a
    spare connector.  You should be able to confirm this without
    shutting the machine down.  If you don't have a host adaptor, or
    the cable doesn't have a spare connector, get another cable with
    more connectors (if you have less than 7 devices on the cable), or
    another host adapter and a cable if there are already the maximum
    7 devices on the cable.

2.  Check the device IDs.  If you don't know them, look at the output
    from dmesg.  It should look something like:

        ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 SCSI host adapter> rev 0x03 int a irq 12 on pci0.18.0
	ahc0: aic7870 Single Channel, SCSI Id=7, 16 SCBs
	ahc0: waiting for scsi devices to settle
        scbus0 at ahc0 bus 0

    This is the SCSI host adapter, on ID 7.

	scbus0 target 0 lun 0: <MICROP 2112-15MQ1094802 HQ48> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
	sd0 at scbus0 target 0 lun 0

    First disk, ID (target) 0

	sd0: Direct-Access 1001MB (2051615 512 byte sectors)
	sd0: with 1760 cyls, 15 heads, and an average 77 sectors/track
	scbus0 target 3 lun 0: <IBM DORS-32160 WA0A> type 0 fixed SCSI 2

    Second disk, ID 3

	sd1 at scbus0 target 3 lun 0
	sd1: Direct-Access 2063MB (4226725 512 byte sectors)
	sd1: with 6703 cyls, 5 heads, and an average 126 sectors/track
	scbus0 target 4 lun 0: <ARCHIVE Python 28849-XXX 4.CM> type 1 removable SCSI 2

    First tape, ID 4

	st0 at scbus0 target 4 lun 0
	st0: Sequential-Access density code 0x0, variable blocks, write-enabled
	scbus0 target 4 lun 1: <ARCHIVE Python 28849-XXX 4.CM> type 8 removable SCSI 2

    This system has four devices on the bus:  Disks on IDs 0 and 3, a
    tape on ID 4, and the host adapter itself on ID 7.  You can use
    any other ID for the (second) tape, but I'd recommend keeping 0 to
    3 for disks, 4 and 5 for tapes, and 6 for CD-ROMs as long as these
    IDs are free.  In this case, therefore, I'd recommend ID 5.

3.  Set the ID jumpers on the device.  Tandberg tapes should be
    well-marked, you should find three jumpers to set, for ID 1, 2,
    and 4.  Set the appropriate combination to add up to your ID (in
    this case, 1 and 4).

4.  If this is the only device on the SCSI cable, make sure that the
    terminators are enabled.  I don't know the 3820, but I do know the
    3800, and it has terminator resistors.  Make sure they're inserted
    if this is the only device.  If you're installing into a chain
    where there are already devices installed, such as in this
    example, make sure they're removed.  Only the last device on the
    cable should have terminators.

5.  Shut the machine down.

6.  Find a slot to insert the tape drive, and insert it.

7.  Connect the SCSI cable and power cable to the tape drive.

8.  Reboot.  During reboot, or later with dmesg, you should see:

	scbus0 target 5 lun 0: <TANDBERG  TDC 3820 -03:> type 1 removable SCSI 1
	st1 at scbus0 target 5 lun 0
	st1: Sequential-Access density code 0x0,  drive empty

That's all there is to it!

Greg