Date:      Fri, 02 Jun 2000 03:15:52 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Punctuation conventions (was: cvs commit:  src/games/fortune/datfiles fortunes)

Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Thursday,  1 June 2000 at  1:43:17 +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:
> > There is no "one space" convention in Australia.  I learned typing in school
> > (an actually useful skill, no less), and two spaces were mandatory.  I can
> > accept the possibility of regional variation among states, or the more
> > probable dilution of skill due to increased foreign word processor use,
> > but the two space rule has not to my knowledge been revoked.
>
> My statement was based on observation.  If you have any documentary
> backup, it would interest me.

Hmm.  I certainly like formal evidence.  But I also haven't retained any
of my school textbooks.  Still, I have a lot of books, and you never know
what might turn up.  (eg: A friend said, "I didn't know you had a
Russian-English dictionary!"  I said, "Me neither.")

If I find the typing book I think I have, or that Manual of Style I also
might have, I'll be sure to lay the wisdom of past times on you! ;-)

Stephen.