Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 15:14:32 -0700
From:      "Alex Davidson" <alexd@idcomm.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Bind

I have just installed Bind V4.9.4 P1 on NT 4 as a cache (connected to the
internet) so a FreeBSD box can resolve ftp.freebsd.org to get packages. I
have run nslookup on the server testing a www address then reversing it to
look up from an IP and it seemed to work fine.

However, when I set the FreeBSD box's gateway and DNS to 192.168.0.1 (my NT
PDC which is running Bind) and run "nslookup" on it it says:

Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1: Non-existent host/domain

Default servers are not available.

Also tried "nslookup 192.168.0.1" and "nslookup www.yahoo.com" with the same
error message.

If this helps to determine Bind is working properly, my mail server which
was set to use my ISP's DNSs now has 127.0.0.1 in the Primary DNS field and
it's resolving the mail servers and domains correctly.