Date:      Mon, 25 May 1998 23:08:10 +0200
From:      "IBS / Andre Oppermann" <andre@pipeline.ch>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Lab

Archie Cobbs wrote:

> Amancio Hasty writes:
> > What I am really after is the project manager for that should
> > be one of his/her functions to chose appropriate tools to support
> > the management of the projects.
> >
> > Besides project tracking, one key area missing is a requirement
> > specification section  with an expiration date for each requirement.
> > The intent is to give ideas to people to kick-off a project .
>
> It would be nice if the 'lab manager' also functioned as an explicit
> 'advocate' who works on behalf of all of the projects. The advocate's
> job would be to raise issues in the base FreeBSD system that need
> to be addressed for the projects to advance. This person should be
> no stranger to -hackers and the core group.

That thing with the advocate is a hard task but with the help of the
project managers (they should tell me about the problems) I think I
am able to handle that. I don't know how far away I am from -hackers
but I'm reading it quite some time now (till last week from the weekly
archives).  Maybe I need some help here for the first few weeks.

> For example, if ELF is required for projects X and Y, then the
> advocate could present arguments to the mailing lists that help
> motivate and accelerate the movement towards ELF, etc..

Maybe I can 'ping' the project manager once a month and ask for
problems and how things are going.

> If necessity is the mother of invention, the advocate would be there
> to help make the necessity known, prompt discussion, and get the issues
> to be understood.

OK, lets take the first step. I'm collecting all the stuff you are
reporting to me and I'll put it into a really informative and nice
webpage with the following informations: Project name, description,
who is responsible, current state, problems.

If you have some you'd like to have included: mail me.

--
Andre Oppermann

CEO / Geschaeftsfuehrer
Internet Business Solutions Ltd. (AG)
Hardstrasse 235, 8005 Zurich, Switzerland
Fon +41 1 277 75 75 / Fax +41 1 277 75 77
http://www.pipeline.ch    ibs@pipeline.ch