Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 10:38:21 -0800
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "Michael Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: History Search in tcsh?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To: "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc: "Dan Nelson" <dnelson@allantgroup.com>; <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 8:02 AM

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 07:47:47AM -0800, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> > Thanks, that was driving me nuts!  I have one other "dumb" question.
> > How should I have known that M-p equals ESC-p?
>
> Through your Secret Ninja UNIX decoder ring.
>
> Serously, you'd stumble across this in a book on the shell.  Knowledge
> that esc/meta is one of those things that old hands Just Know, and new
> users cry about.  :-(
>
> If some new user felt like it, a friendly shell intro would be a
> wonderful thing to add to our documentation...

Thanks.  OK, I may take a stab at writing since writitng is one thing I
do fairly well.  So what types of things should such documentation
contain?  Should it be a man page? An addiditon to the Handbook?
Something else?  If you (or someone) could help me with the format and
how to submit it (a PR?), I'll see what I can come up with.  The worst
that can happen is that I'll learn how to use the shell!  :)

Drew