Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 20:29:24 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Aaron Parmelee <trout@net66.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd and winmodem

Aaron Parmelee wrote:

> hello out there:
>
>  i have just installed freebsd on my pc, and so far it is working
> beautifully (ie. i can mount my floppy and cdrom drives).
> my question concerns my modem. it is a "winmodem." i'm not sure what that
> "win"
> means, but i have the feeling that it, like my pc, was designed for ms
> windows. will this give me any trouble with freebsd?

Yes, that's correct - the WinModem relies on using the drivers that the
manufacturer supplies for Windows to drive the modem...

The upshot is that the modem offloads some of the DSP functions of the modem
onto the host PC, thus making the modem cheaper, and pretty useless for other
operating systems (that don't have specific drivers)... (And judging by the
amount of problems we've had - not too hot even when run under windows!)

Regards,

Karl