Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 10:57:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Stefan Molnar <stefan@csudsu.com>
To:        Michael Borowiec <mikebo@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Securing the FreeBSD console

> Just FYI...  I'm introducing FreeBSD at work, a 1000-seat engineering
> environment, where people share offices and labs that don't lock.
> Most of the UNIX folk in my environment were horrified by these defaults -
> but moreso by the lack of documentation pointing them out. It was even
> suggested the OS not be used at all, for fear that (1) the FreeBSD team
> either doesn't understand, or doesn't take commercial security concerns
> seriously, and (2) that there are probably many more undocumented actions
> in a "hobbyist (read TOY) OS" that could be exploited to gain fast access.

How can they be horrified?  On all Sun hardware a simple STOP-A
and knowing how to use forth/openboot I can capture your entire
memory ranges, or other things.  I do not see the kill X server
function in irix advertised as a security hole.  Or what about
the lovely single user switch that was on the back of the old
Apollos.  Having access to console no matter the os asumes
risks.  There are very easy ways to go around the login
of any win9x and nt box.  I work at one of the largest unix companies
out there, and it is an assumed risk.  Cray's had horriable security.
No matter what OS there is.  Getting physical access means there are
ways to get access.  The only thing that I have seen that can
be secure at the console is Trusted Solaris 2.5.1.

Stefan