Date:      Wed, 06 Oct 2004 17:15:42 +0200
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Michael Alipio <daem0nb0y@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH from private to public IP: Impossible??

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 11:00:11PM -0700, Michael Alipio wrote:
> Good Day,
>   I used ssh to log-in remotely from work to my home
> pc which already obtained a temporary ip address from
> my isp, however, I failed to connect. Is it because I
> am ssh'ing using a pc with a private ip? I tried
> pinging my remote pc but no single packet returned..
> I'm thinking that any other service such as ftpd or
> httpd will not work also, though I've not tried it
> yet. I've tried ftp'ing my home pc but using a public
> ip and it worked.. I'm not sure if it will still work
> from a private ip computer.
> Any idea?

So you're home PC has a public IP and you work PC has a private IP and
is behind a NAT router? This doesn't cause problems for ssh. It more
likly a firewall problem somewhere. Either you're firewall of that of
the companie.

--
Alex

Please copy the original recipients, otherwise I may not read your reply.
WWW: http://www.kruijff.org/alex/FreeBSD/