Date:      14 Feb 2001 11:25:53 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        "DSA-JCR" <jcrdsa@dsa.es>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie questions about FreeBSD

"DSA-JCR" <jcrdsa@dsa.es> writes:

> Hi all:
>
> I am new (really new) to FreeBSD and I have some questions about it.
>
> I am in the process of selecting a Operating System for my Server.
> This wil be a Communications Server in a "CyberCafe".
> It will serve to 10-15 Computers.
>
> I would like to know the following in order to choose FreeBSD as the O.S.:
>
> 1.- Has FreeBSD a graphic Interface ?

It has XFree86 as an X server, but generally I don't use GUI's on my
servers.

> 2.- Is translated to Spanish?

Sorry, don't know.

> 3.- Is capable of (have app.s for) : write CD-ROMs, Email Server, news
> server, chat, ...

Yes. cdrecrod with various front ends for writing CD's
gnu-pop3d, qpopper as options for pop3 servers. Sendmail and exim for
smtp mail servers.
innd or leafnode for news.
various IRC or web based services for chat.

> 4.- What about "drivers" for SCSI, Video, SoundCards, ...

Depends on the make and model. But there is very good hardware support
for most things. Soundcard in the server... ? How come?

> 5.- Support Double Processor ?

Yes. Very well.

> 6.- Support P4 ?

Don't know.

> 7.- comparision with Linux ? (Of course you probably say is "best than
> Linux", but, I would like to know specifically and technically the
> diferences betwen them.

With recent problems in the linux kernel (specifically tx errors on
NIC's dragging servers to death and the VM subsystem being completely
borked since 2.2.15), FreeBSD is more and more the STABLE option. If
you want your servers to stay up and running with little effort, then
go FreeBSD. If you _LIKE_ reading arguments between Linus Torvalds,
Alan Cox, Rik Van Riel and Andreas Archalengi, and still not getting a
working VM subsystem in 8 months, then go linux.

> 8.- Can I connect my W98 Network to the Internet with a FreeBSD Computer
> Server ? How ?

If the FreeBSD machine is connected to the net, and has another
network card connecting it to the local network, then you use the
FreeBSD machine as your default gateway on the windows box.

Next, you need to set up NAT (network address translation) to
translate requests from your private network (the workstations) to the
internet and returning requests back to the machine that made them.

HTH

--
- Wayne Pascoe
E-mail: wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk