Date:      Sat, 28 Feb 1998 09:35:10 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how long does it take to low level format a 9 GB Baraccuda ?

As Andreas Klemm wrote...
> I had to power cycle my machine when a low level format wasn't
> finished. I felt that this preformatting already took a long
> time ( > 30 min).
>
> Now I connected the drive Led and see the LED blinking
> during preformat 1 1/2 sec. red light, 1 sec. pause,
> alternating....
>
> How long do I have to wait to preformat this drive ?
>
> sd3 at scbus0 target 1 lun 0
> sd3: <SEAGATE ST19171N 0019> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
> sd3: Direct-Access
> sd3: MEDIUM ERROR asc:31,0 Medium format corrupted field replaceable unit: 9
> , retries:4
>
> currently this error occurs during booting ....

Yep. Never switch a drive off while it is formatting. Been there, done
that..

> Somebody assembled this drive upside down in a case :-/
> Now I wanted to preformat the drive in the correct position....

Most drives can be mounted upside down these days without any special
actions (like formatting) of the user. Check the product manual.

> Is it defect ???

Probably not, just sad ;-)

---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --