Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 1996 22:05:38 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de
To:        undisclosed-recipients:;

As Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> After booting the server I noticed the stale handle. So I looked in
> the server and found that the file system of the disk in question
> was so screwed (BAD DATA IN SUPERBLOCK or something) that even
> a fsck -b 32 -y did not recover the filesystem on the ultrix side.
> So I decided to newfs and mount the disk again.

Then it's normal that you've got a stale NFS file handle.  The server
is computing the NFS file handle it hands off to the clients based on
the layout of the file system.  It's guaranteed that you will get the
same file handle again as long as the file system layout is identical,
but after revamping the file system from ground of, all file handles
will become stale.  That's rather intention, not a bug.

--
cheers, J"org