Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 01:40:47 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, "Paul M. Lambert" <plambert@magiclemurs.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Roasting Newbies

Jamie Norwood wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 06:35:20PM +0900, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> > [Hey, what about this "Roasting Newbies" subject? I have read all
> > messages so far in this thread, and couldn't find any tips or shared
> > experiences on the matter... :]
>
> [Try a light garlic and basil marinade. Roast for 5 minutes per pound,
> basting every half hour]

[Is that chopped or crushed garlic? And what kind of drink goes with
it?]

> > Many of the non-subscribed posters are subscribed developers using
> > alternate accounts. They would not be happy in the hypothetical case
> > of this being implemented.
>
> IIRC, Majordomo is capable of having 'post-ok' addresses, where you can
> do a sort of half-subscription where you can post from an address, but
> not get list mail there.

It would seem that it's more of a question of suddenly finding
oneself at another account on a business trip and similar stuff.
This has been discussed ad nauseum wrt spammers. The bottom line is
that the cost outweight the benefits, in *that* case.

But this _is_ a different case. We do get a LOT more clueless
questions&newbie flaming than spammers. And the consequences are far
more serious: committers get off lists like -hackers, committers get
pissed off, and newbies get a terrible first impression. Perhaps
this might tip the scale in favour of a "posting addresses"
solution, but, frankly, I doubt it.

If anyone wants to pursue the matter, talk to jmb in person at
FreeBSDcon. Buy him some beer, even. Maybe if enough people buy him
a beer, he might get drunk enough to agree to it (or, otherwise, do
some despicable act that might be properly recorded for latter use
as blackmail :).

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"I always feel generous when I'm in the inner circle of a
conspiracy to subvert the world order and, with a small group of
allies, just defeated an alien invasion. Maybe I should value myself
a little more?"