Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 1995 12:43:56 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, terry@cs.weber.edu
Cc:        bugs@FreeBSD.org, gineoh@engin.umich.edu
Subject:   Re: Can't install 2.0-RELEASE on EIDE HD

>> >	cylndrs		heads	sectors		size
>> >	 525		 64	  63	        1083 megabytes
>>
>> This configuration might work iff the BSD partition starts on the first
>> head on the first cylinder, i.e., on a sectore < 63.

>Actully, it should have intermittent areas of 16 sectors throughout
>the disk where this would work.

Actually, you'd have to look at the pathology in the driver to see what
it would do... it's closer to working that I thought.  The driver modifies
the geometry in the label from

	(525, 64, 63, secperunit = correct, secpercyl = 64*63)

	(525,  H, 63, secperunit = correct, secpercyl = 64*63)

where H = (number of heads reported by drive or 16 if drive couldn't
report it).  Note that the driver doesn't modify secpercyl, so it screws
up the C/H/S calculations later; otherwise the modified geometry would
work on modern drives.  If H == 16, then cylinder addresses given to
the controller will be too small by a factor of 4.

Bruce