Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:54:52 +0100
From:      Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Stefan Probst <stefan.probst@opticom.v-nam.net>, Rob Hurle <rob@coombs.anu.edu.au>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adore worm

Hi,
Best thing to do is to 'pull the plug' immediately (your net connection).
Backup up the machine for later inspection, then reinstall fBSD and if
you got a seprate data backup put that back.
Then you might put the previous made backup on a clean machine for inspection.
Usual vulnerable things like telnet, ftp etc. is a good place to start looking
for in your logs. (In case you didn't block them)
Gr,
Axel

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 09:22:33AM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:
> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 09:22:33 -0800 (PST)
> From: John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
> To: Stefan Probst <stefan.probst@opticom.v-nam.net>
> Subject: RE: Adore worm
> Cc: Rob Hurle <rob@coombs.anu.edu.au>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> On 13-Nov-01 Stefan Probst wrote:
> > Good Evening,
> >
> > sorry for newbie-posting, but I don't have too much time to sift through
> > archives....
> >
> > Looks like my FreeBSD 4.2 Box (FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE (GENERIC)) got hit by a
> > worm - or infested by purpose:
>
> It's a rootkit, and your box has been compromised.  Backup your data and
> reinstall unless someone else has a better idea.
>
> --
>
> John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
> "Power Users Use the Power to Serve!"  -  http://www.FreeBSD.org/

Axel Scheepers