Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 03:43:09 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        fcash@bigfoot.com
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IMAP server recommendations

Freddie Cash wrote:
> Courier and Cyrus both support using databases for mail storage and
> IMAP-over-SSL.  I believe they both support virtual domains but
> haven't really looked into that (no need for it right now).

IMAP4 doesn't support virtual domains.  There is no room in the
credential space for a domain, only a name/password pair, not a
name/password/domain tuple.  In addition, if you are using
Netscape as your client, you'll find that there are constraints
on the characters you can enter into the name field, so it's
nearly impossible to portably implement a namespace escape by
overloading the contents of the name field.

> If you need it right now, I'd suggest UW-IMAP (especially with only 2
> users).  Once that's up and running, you'll have time to play with the
> other ones, if needed.

If you make this choice, don't make the IMAP4 prot accessible
outside your firewall.

-- Terry