Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 20:31:17 +0100
From:      "Benjamin Lutz" <benlutz@datacomm.ch>
To:        "Jackson Donadel" <fatboy@linuxbr.com.br>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Phone Line

Uhm... Modems are somewhat explicitely designed to used the phoneline. How
do you wanna make a call with a telephone but without a phoneline? There
might be some fancy stuff possible for inhouse networking...but it certainly
wouldn't be standard or anything. Consider it a "no".

A Nullmodem is a device to connect two computers via their serial or
parallel port (USB ones are getting available too...although I don't think
it's technically a Nullmodem), so they can transfer data. The positive side
of it it's very cheap, as the "Nullmodem", despite it's great-sounding name
only consists of a simple cable, which is available at less than 20 bucks.
Also its very easy to set up, provided the OS has drivers for it (I'm not
sure whether FreeBSD got them though.) The negative side of it is that it's
very limited in both data transfer rate and cable length; Despite you can
set your serial ports to 115200 baud or higher, in my experience data
transfer was much slower, several minutes for a single Megabyte it was with
me. Parallel cables, due to the nature of the port, are faster of course.
Also, the cable can't be longer than a few meters.
Well, a Nullmodem can be pretty useful as a cheap solution to transfer some
text documents from your laptop to your desktop computer and back, but you
don't want to transfer anything big.

Have a lot of fun, Ben