Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 23:23:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What's wrong with GPL? (was Re: Jordan the Confused)

> There've been a couple people complaining about the GPL on this list in
> the past few messages -- any particular reason why?  RMS is a bit of a
> prick (especially recently -- I can't believe he wants to rename Linux to
> GNU/Linux because it tends to ship with Gnu tools), but I don't see a
> problem with the actual license.

	This was my questions too. What makes GPL worse then the FreeBSD
licence? Maybe it's more obvious if I wasn't a relative newbie.
	Also, in regards to user friendlyness, what are people
complaining about? Having just recently install Linux and FreeBSD for the
first time within the last six months, I found the FreeBSD install much
simpler. Pop in the CDROM, turn on the computer, hit novice install. Away
it went... Linux was a pain in the arse... had to download the bootdisks
and make them because the boot off cdrom option was broken in that
release. In other words, the FreeBSD installation took less then an hour,
the Linux one took me nearly two days!
	Now, the big problem I see as a newbie, is the lack of
documentation, I'm sure this has been heard before! Even with the
documentation we do have it seems to be slightly hard to find. Now,
before anyone says anything, I've already started working on
documentation myself... :)
	The only other problem I really see is the whole PPP thing, for a
month it was the only thing to keep me from using FreeBSD all the time. I
think it's confusing because there does not seem to always be a
differance (doc wise,) between kernal and user ppp. I also realize that
it's probally hard to do so, there are so many options! I'd like to see
an installation script of sorts for this with a few simple questions.
I.e. is this computer going to be the gateway for a network? Do you have
a static IP or do you need to get one assigned? Is your modem PNP or
other? Etc, etc. It is my intention to do this... once I figure out how
to get ppp working right... :)

						Rick