Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 11:47:22 -0700
From:      Jos Backus <jos@catnook.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: non-root /var/run files (was Re: Sendmail, smmsp, and pid file)

As this thread once more suggests, the whole concept of pidfiles is broken.
The proper way is to use a service control manager which keeps track of
processes, allowing them to be stopped/restarted etc. through a single API. (I
am not going to mention AIX's System Resource Controller again because some
people on this list don't seem to like AIX.)

Last time the discussion about daemontools seemed to end in it being a good
idea but djb's license being unsuitable, iIrc.  So on the 22nd I sent an
e-mail to -hackers saying that I have found a BSD-licensed service control
manager suitable for import into the base OS, in the hope of restarting this
discussion. init(8) doesn't cut it for various reasons: single config file,
runs as root, critical to system startup, etc.

But it appears I am in a minority because so far I have only received one
private response.

Mnsho, of course.

Jos

--
Jos Backus                 _/  _/_/_/        Santa Clara, CA