Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 13:32:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ye' olde IDE drive problems...

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Karl Pielorz wrote:

> > > And run a "newfs -b 8192 -f 1024
> >
> > I'd like to see the rest of this line.
>
> The rest? - should there be any rest?  - That's the line that
> /stand/sysinstall issues to format the partition! ;-)

Except that no device to format is specified.  Usually you just run `newfs
/dev/rwd0s1a' or whatever device you want to format.

> > You need to enable your ide controller; it's not responding to interrupts.
>
> The IDE controller is definitely enabled, in the bios it says:
>
> Peripherals | Onboard IDE Controller: Both

You just told me you turned it off... That would imply that the controller
is disappearing.  That is not good.

> Listed... When I first start formatting the drive - the number of interrupts
> goes up to around 100 or so (it's hard to see) - but after the 'timeouts' it
> sticks at '1'. (How do I know your going to suggest a conflict? ;-)

That's normal.  The 1 int is probably the driver trying to get the
controller to respond.  Perhaps the drive or controller are getting
unhappy?  That would be really wierd.

What type of disk is this?  If it's a WD try getting the wd config utility
from them and run it.

> Does the IDE driver just giveup after a timeout or something? - the machine
> gets rapidly unstable after that...

It doesn't like the IDE controller going on vacation; you loose swap and
thus chunks of processes.  SCSI can put up with it a little better.