Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 19:38:54 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net, Walter <walterk1@earthlink.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mac can't connect to Internet

On Tuesday 22 October 2002 01:24 pm, Kevin Stevens wrote:

> Two things:
>
> - Is the FreeBSD box set to act as a router (packet forwarding on)?
>   If another machine behind the BSD box can connect to the Internet
>   it would answer that question.
>
> - Is the FreeBSD box set as the default router in the OS X box'
> settings?

To which I'll add that it was not obvious in the original posting
whether or not the FreeBSD system had two NICs or whether everything
was connected to the hub/switch including cable modem.

Walter said the firewall was disabled. So I'm guessing he is a long way
from getting the Mac connected. Would be surprised if he has more than
one IP address from his ISP (earthlink?), which would be required
without NAT. And the firewall is needed to apply the divert rule to get
NAT.

In setting up my firewall I found this URL very handy:
http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/

Specifically is this one which I believe was the most help:
http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/ipfw.html

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net