Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2017 12:59:48 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Konstantin <k.shesternin@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot problem

On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 14:07:34 +0300, Konstantin wrote:

> > What exactly is this "first stage"? The actual first stage of
> > (classic BIOS) booting is the MBR / boot manager, second stage
> > is the kernel loader, third stage is the kernel itself, fourth
> > stage is init. :-)
> >

> It stop when on screen i see "...FreeBSD bootstrap loader..."

That seems to be the kernel loader. A "hanging" at this stage
is something very inconvenient, as I assume the kernel won't
even be loaded (from what you've described). Or do you get
the kernel (white) output already? Compare:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/boot-introduction.html

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/arch-handbook/boot-overview.html

> > Also, please explain the system behaviour: Does it hang (i. e.,
> > become fully unresponsive both regarding keyboard input and
> > network access, for example via SSH or telnet), does it
> > crash (and if yes, with which message), or does it suddenly
> > reboot? Does it do this every time or just occassionally?
>
> Due first 15-20 seconds i can reboot PC with ctl-alt-del, so keyboard​ is
> working,
> but after this time it hang - image on screen froze, keyboard stop working.
> Only hard-reset or power-off.

This is normal. At the pre-kernel stage, the keyboard is still
under control of the BIOS. Typically key combinations like
Ctrl+Alt+Del will be caught and cause a system reboot - they
are not handled by OS-level software yet.

When the kernel is in control, this mechanism is inhibited,
as the kernel will catch the key combination and perform a
clean (!) system shutdown and reboot (if not explicitely
configured otherwise).

In such a situation, only hardware reset (or power off) will
work. If the kernel "froze", there's hardly anything you can
do. If your kernel has been configured with the internal
debugger enabled, pressing Ctrl+Alt+Esc will drop you into
its prompt - which of course is futile in case there isn't
any keyboard response...

> > In case your keyboard is a USB keyboard which first runs in
> > some legacy mode (via BIOS), and then using the kernel's ukbd
> > driver: If the kernel didn't recognize your keyboard, its input
> > won't reach anything. Can you check the boot messages for the
> > "ukbd" entry?
> >
> > Six months ago, did you do something "unusual" to your system,
> > like replacing a hardware component or changing the OS software?
> >

> Maybe some updates via freebsd-update fetch|install, not sure.

That _might_ have caused it...

> > > I boot the system from the installation flash drive, from the bootloader
> > > command line I do the following
> > > unload
> > > set currdev="disk1p2"
> > > read-conf /boot/loader.conf
> > > boot-conf
> >
> > Does the OS (on the disk) boot correctly, and will it stay
> > responsive after booting this way?
> >
> ​
> After boot this way system work well about 2-3 month without any problems​.
> I shutdown it myself for cleaning dust.

Okay, so a hardware failure is unlikely.

> > Have you tried booting from a 11.0 flash drive and using the
> > kernel from that media (i. e., without the "unload" command)?
> > This way you could rule out a kernel problem. Additionally,
> > when booting from USB flash media, does booting the _whole OS_
> > from that media stay responsive after booting?
> >

> I do not try boot without "unload", but system boot from USB-flash and
> work in normal mode.​

Good.

> > > FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p12
> >
> > That's a
> > ​​
> > fairly current OS version. Is it running a custom kernel?
> >

> No, it runs with generic kernel​

Another possibility ruled out (misconfigured kernel).

> On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 17:55:04 +0300, Konstantin wrote:
> > > There are no UEFI on the PC - it`s a 8-years old socket 775 platform. And
> > > no optical drive.
> >
> > This shouldn't be a problem, except of course you're experiencing some
> > kind of hardware failure, which is at least possible at such an age,
> > but the age alone doesn't imply it. (My home PC is 10 years old and
> > still working.)
>

> ​It was answer to ​Manish Jain, who ask me try run the system without UEFI.

So additional UEFI problems are out of scope, good.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany