Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 15:08:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.win.tue.nl>
Cc:        bmk@pobox.com, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running sendmail non-suid

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Guido van Rooij wrote:

> > I don't believe that running sendmail from inetd will be a viable option -
> > anticipated load is too high.  What I will likely do is run it non-suid,
> > but start it as root, and give up root privelege as soon as the port is
> > bound.  I'd rather not muck around in the kernel.
>
> I thought there is an option nowadays that does exactly this:
>
> O RunAsUser=<username>

Not really.  From the RELEASE_NOTES:

  Add new RunAsUser option; this causes sendmail to do a setuid to that
	  user early in processing to avoid potential security problems.
	  However, this means that all .forward and :include: files must
	  be readable by that user, and on systems that don't support the
	  saved uid bit properly, all files to be written must be
	  writable by that user and all programs will be executed by that
	  user.  It is also incompatible with the SafeFileEnvironment
	  option.  In other words, it may not actually add much to
	  security.  However, it should be useful on firewalls and other
	  places where users don't have accounts and the aliases file is
	  well constrained.

It runs more as root than alternative solutions.  grep the sources for
RunAsUid to see where it actually does the switches.