Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 22:44:00 -0400
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 48 meg double fault moved to 64 meg in 2.2.5

jack <jack@diamond.xtalwind.net> wrote:

>> Looks like the 48M boot floppy bug has crawled to a different location.
>
>I've booted from the 2.2.5 boot floppy on two different 64M boxes, and a
>20M, so far.  No problems.  ??????

I have two machines with identical hardware configurations.
Intel 486DX4-100, VLB motherboard with UMC chipset, Buslogic
445C SCSI controller, 64 MB RAM.

The problem appears on both machines.

I also have a test machine, another VLB 486 with 64 MB RAM,
but a VIA chipset and no SCSI -- No problem on this machine.

So it seems the problem is specific to certain hardware.

I have extra parts to build a third machine identical to the
configuration which shows the problem.  In the next few days
I'll try to build one piece by piece until the problem starts.
If the problem starts with the motherboard itself I'll poke
around with the CMOS settings to see if they have any effect.

John