Date:      Sat, 22 Nov 1997 12:43:58 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Alan Batie <batie@agora.rdrop.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hot upgrades

[ Moved to -mobile ]

> I just hot-upgraded my laptop from 2.1-PAO to 2.2.5, and now it's off
> the net --- it seems that the pccard driver no longer accepts "default"
> and "any" for interrupts and memory locations, but wants specific
> numbers.

'any' for interrupt was a complete un-necessary hack since '?' was
already there.  'default' for 'tuple' id's introduced bugs in the CIS
parser code in pccardd, plus added a ton of complexity in already
difficult to understand code.  If I'm going to maintain the code I want
to be able to understand it and also not have new functionality add new
bugs.  The tradeoff isn't worth it. :(

> Which seems like a big step backwards if you ask me, but I haven't yet
> gotten a chance to track down what's going on, so don't consider this
> a bug report or a complaint yet (unless you know for sure that this was
> what was supposed to happen :-) ).

This was supposed to happen.  The 'any' interrupt code won't go in, but
the 'default' stuff should happen sometime, since it is a good thing.

However, that's not going to be for a little while, so for now go find a
nice configuration entry for your card to get it working using pccardc
dumpcis.  I'm sorry for breaking this support, but the code that
implemented it was too nasty for me to integrate it. :(

Nate