Date:      Wed, 02 Jan 2002 12:49:37 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        mitko@rila.bg
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Magic number 100 in /sys/kern/kern_fork.c

Dimitar Peikov wrote:

> I've review /sys/kern/kern_fork.c file and have a question why the room of
> 100 process numbers is hardcoded in the source? I think that if such room
> is needed, it must be defined somewhere in headers, isn't it.
>
> Can someone explain me more the idea about that room?

It's a setaside for system processes ("kprocs") at system start;
think of it like the 1024 priviledged port reserve.  I think
the idea is to not have a random PID collide with a system process
that was started at init time.  If you start a heck of a lot of
processes/kprocs, you will occasionally get collisions, but by not
excluding where you *know* there are processes from the space, you
are pretty much asking for a (very small) slowdown.

The code is pretty straight forward, though a manifest constant
mich be moreso; I don't know how permitting it to be changed
would be of benefit.  I could see how someone without scruples
could "hide" processes, if it were runtime adjustable...

-- Terry