Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2012 08:38:10 -0700
From:      Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, Vladimir Videscu <vladimir.videscu@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on SSD

On Jul 28, 2012 11:42 AM, "Wojciech Puchar" <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
wrote:

>> The read-cache idea is very sound, mainly because by using it this way
Seagate would not have to create a special set of
>> instructions for installing and using the HDD.
>

> I don't think that this drive cache is smart enough to really cache
needed things and not flush that cache with useless data too often.

> i personally would prefer that drive to show up as 8GB disk and 750 GB
disk.

> It would be easy to fit most of /usr in 8GB with even large set of
software installed.

> when out of space then use softlinks and move not very used things (eg.
documentation, non-yours locales, examples, some linarly accessed big files
etc.) to disk.

>> My final question would be :
>>
>> Seeing as the HDD only has a SATA connector, this would mean that the
SSD part already has a memory control device that regulates
>> access to that sector, whether it is a plain read-cache or not. This
would imply that FreeBSD could communicate with the HDD
>> normally, through the SATA connector, just like any regular HDD.
>

> indeed.
>
> Such a drive is a good idea, but complete lack of documentation (how it
operate) is not.

> You have to guess how this SSD-cache works because it is not documented.
>
> the other thing is erasing data. You want to sell that drive and clear
your data by

> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk bs=1m
>
> but does it clear SSD cache? i don't think so. Someone sophisticated
enough would perform raw read of cache chips and get cached data, which can
actually be the most important part (things you work on often).