Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 10:39:17 +0000
From:      Jonathan Belson <jon@witchspace.com>
To:        Jonathan Belson <jon@witchspace.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network slowdowns...

Jonathan Belson wrote:
> Hiya
>

> I've recently been experiencing slowdowns on my server's outgoing
> network port, which occur after half a day to a day after the last
> reboot.

After trying a few things that were suggested to me, I realised
what the problem was.  Without the DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT option my
DHCP client couldn't re-lease the IP from my ISP's DHCP servers
and presumably ended up using an invalid IP..

I've added the following firewall rules:

         # DHCP
         ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from any to ${oip} 67 setup
         ${fwcmd} add pass udp from any to ${oip} 67
         ${fwcmd} add pass udp from ${oip} 67 to any
         ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from any to ${oip} 68 setup
         ${fwcmd} add pass udp from any to ${oip} 68
         ${fwcmd} add pass udp from ${oip} 68 to any

and removed the line

         ${fwcmd} add deny all from 0.0.0.0/8 to any via ${oif}

which seems to have worked thus far.

Cheers,

--Jon

<http://www.witchspace.com>;