Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 2009 12:30:09 -0500
From:      Sean Cavanaugh <millenia2000@hotmail.com>
To:        <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>, <sonicy@otenet.gr>
Cc:        nick.chorley@gmail.com, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: 8.0 installation doesn't contain X distributions

> Date: Thu=2C 10 Dec 2009 19:47:08 +1100
> From: smithi@nimnet.asn.au
> To: sonicy@otenet.gr
> CC: nick.chorley@gmail.com=3B freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: 8.0 installation doesn't contain X distributions
>=20
> In freebsd-questions Digest=2C Vol 287=2C Issue 16=2C Message: 8
> On Sat=2C 05 Dec 2009 19:39:08 +0200 Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr> w=
rote:

>=20
> Look=2C I'm sorry=2C but I think this is a huge regression=2C especially =
if=20
> we're still hoping that people with no prior experience of installing=20
> freeBSD=2C people coming from Linux and such=2C for essentially or includ=
ing=20
> desktop use=2C are going to have a rewarding installation experience.
>=20
> I think this is taking base-system-only installation purity to excess.
>=20
> Fine for people installing servers of course=2C and maybe it will shift=20
> more people wanting a GUI environment towards PC-BSD and such if we want=
=20
> to discourage these from using FreeBSD as it is (or maybe=2C was) but eve=
n=20
> with my 11 years experience of installing FrreeBSD versions from 2.2=20
> till now=2C I kept on wondering=2C how would a newbie fare at this point?
>=20
> The main disadvantage is - access to all packages :) In the case of X=2C=
=20
> you and I=2C developers and most people here know to hunt for the Xorg=20
> meta-port. But the naive or new installer knows of no such thing=2C and=20
> could beat around in the huge lists of X software for ages=2C wondering=20
> what's required and what's not to get a desktop going.
>=20
> The previous basic setup menus in sysinstall for X were not only useful=
=3B=20
> I suspect that they are virtually essential for someone=2C say=2C coming=
=20
> from Debian or Ubuntu or such=2C wanting to try FreeBSD on their system=
=2C=20
> or the genuine first-time installer of FreeBSD. sysinstall used to=20
> assume as little prior knowledge or need to pre-read the Handbook and/or=
=20
> FAQ or follow the lists as possible. Now it's seeming much more firmly=20
> targeted at the already experienced user=2C and I feel that's regressive.
>=20
> cheers=2C Ian

to play devils advocate=2C how many people do you know run a pure version o=
f Linux? next to nobody does because there are distros built (ie=2C red hat=
=2C ubuntu=2C yellowdog...) that have the structuring together. I agree wit=
h the other person who mentioned PC-BSD as I agree that that would be perfe=
ct for a true newbie to *nix to install and use FreeBSD.

=20

most linux people will know all about packages and should be able to fumble=
 thru the package installer in sysinstall just fine until they find the por=
ts list.

=20

if the user is a complete newbie to *nix in general=2C we would all be refe=
ring them to the documentation=2C or a good published freebsd book.

=20

I can definitely state from my beginnings with FreeBSD as my first *nix=2C =
the packages system is pretty easy to find software users are looking for. =
you could technically transpose your comments about users not knowing how t=
o install xorg with a GUI like Gnome or KDE. its still boils down to the we=
ll labled meta- package/port.

=20

but to sum it up. when i am introducing someone new to *nix and i want them=
 to use freebsd=2C i point them to PC-BSD as it "just works"=2C then when t=
hey get comfortable=2C i show them the rest of what freebsd has to offer th=
em=2C and sometimes they switch to a straight freebsd install the next time=
 they build a system.

=20

-Sean
 		 	   		  =