Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 08:31:47 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: concatenated drives with vinum or ccd

On Thursday, 19 August 1999 at 10:10:44 -0500, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> I have a couple of questions regarding ccd and vinum. I have used both on
> different machines so configuration is not a problem. Yay!
>
> Is there any benefit to using vinum instead of ccd for concatenated
> drives?

As long as you're using simple concatenated drives, probably not.  But
with vinum you can change your config on the fly (like adding
mirroring while the volume is running).  It's basically more flexible.

> An extension to this, should I bother changing a fairly large ccd
> volume into a vinum volume?

Not necessarily, if it's just concatenated.  If it's mirrored, you'll
see better performance out of Vinum, because it reads alternately from
each half of the mirror.  ccd always reads from the first half.

> Is there a benfit to using ccd over vinum?

Not really.  I believe ccd will give you more space: Vinum uses 131.5
kB of each drive for configuration information.

> Also, is vinum slated to replace ccd?

I'd like to think so, but it's not my decision.

Greg