Date:      Tue, 03 Aug 2004 10:13:51 -0400
From:      "Michael Roberts" <tpen0010@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   DLink DWL-G650 (h/w ver. B4)

Greetings,

I got DLink DWL-G650 (h/w ver. B4) pc-card recently, which is supposed to
run 802.11g using the atheros drivers (the windows driver is named
ar5211.sys, which should mean atheros..).  However, I've been trying to get
it to work for the past three days w/o success.  Other people on this list
claim to have gotten it working, so any help would be much appreciated.

My setup is:  -current (from early July) on a Dell 8600, running a Broadcom
ethernet interface on bfe0, and a kernel recompiled with "device ath" and
"device ath_hal".

When I put the Dlink card in, i get the following:

cardbus0:  Resource not specified in CIS: id=10, size=2000
bfe1: < Broadcom ... > irq 11 at device 0.0 on cardbus0
bfe1: BUG! Timeout waiting for bit 00000002 of register 42C to clear
bfe1: MII without any PHY!
device_attach: bfe1 attach returned 6
cbb0: Cardbus activation failed.

Then a few seconds later I get something like

bfe0: BUG! Timeout waiting for bit 00000002 of register 42C

about 6 times, and then the computer freezes.  The above line is not the
exact output, since after the computer freezes, I can't copy the text
(clearly..).

Now, the above is strange because the card should be picked up by an atheros
driver, not the bfe driver (note that bfe0 is my internal ethernet card, and
the above is trying to assign the pccard to bfe1).  I've tryed putting in
hw.pccard.debug=1 and cis_debug=1, however the computer freezes before I get
any output from those.

I've read in other posts on the lists that the "Resource not specified" line
is some sort of resource management issue, but no one has specified how to
fix it.  And that doesn't seem to address the other issue that the card
isn't recognized by the atheros driver.

So... I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Any help would be much appreciated.

regards,