Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:31:45 +0300
From:      Igor Robul <igor@raduga.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie questions about FreeBSD

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 11:13:49AM -0000, DSA-JCR wrote:
> It will serve to 10-15 Computers.
>
> I would like to know the following in order to choose FreeBSD as the O.S.:
>
> 1.- Has FreeBSD a graphic Interface ?
Yes. Same as Linux.
> 2.- Is translated to Spanish?
FreeBSD supports Spanish locale.
> 3.- Is capable of (have app.s for) : write CD-ROMs, Email Server, news
> server, chat, ...
Of course, YES. For CD-RW you will have better results with SCSI ones.
> 4.- What about "drivers" for SCSI, Video, SoundCards, ...
www.freebsd.org
Some are supported, some not.
> 5.- Support Double Processor ?
Yes, but you don't need SMP server for 10-20 workstations
> 6.- Support P4 ?
It does not support "special" features, but it will run on it. But see
above about SMP
> 7.- comparision with Linux ? (Of course you probably say is "best than
> Linux", but, I would like to know specifically and technically the
> diferences betwen them.
For 10-20 workstations it is not matter, but I have migrated to
FreeBSD from Linux. IMHO, Linux now is better for "cool-new" workstations,
FreeBSD is better for servers.
> 8.- Can I connect my W98 Network to the Internet with a FreeBSD Computer
> Server ? How ?
Yes. Using network address translation (NAT) (this is what in Linux
called masquarading). With help of proxy servers (squid or oops for
example). Or by combining these. So, all you can do with Linux you can
do with FreeBSD.

--
Igor Robul, Unix System Administrator & Programmer @ sanatorium "Raduga",
Sochi, Russia