Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 1996 14:46:12 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        jimamy@io.org (Jim Amy)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD CD Installation

Jim Amy writes:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm a recent purchaser of the FreeBSD 2.1 from Walnut Creek CD-ROM.  It
> turns out that installing FreeBSD is far more difficult and involved
> than I had anticipated.  I have a few questions I hope you can help me
> with.
>
> 1. On page 26 of the Running FreeBSD manual it says I need to jumper my
> CD-ROM as a slave device.  My CD is the only device on my secondary IDE
> (ATAPI) interface and when I jumper it as a slave device the CD-ROM
> drivers will not accept a slave without a master.

That's right.  If you *only* have a CD-ROM drive and no IDE disks,
you're in trouble.  Seriously, in that case the best thing is to buy
an IDE disk to make master.

In your case, though, you apparently *do* have an IDE drive as master
on the the primary IDE interface.  Just connect your CD-ROM drive as
slave on the primary interface.  If you already have a disk drive
there, connect it to the secondary interface.  I'm not sure, but I
could imagine that it might even improve performance in this
configuration.

BTW, Gary's reply could have been construed to suggest that you can
have more than one slave on an IDE interface.  That's not the case:
you can have exactly two configurations:

- 1 drive only
- 2 drives; one master, one slave.

>  In the process my CD-ROM drivers defaulted back to real device
> drivers and I had to reload Windows 95 to get the CD-ROM as well as
> my IDE Windows 95 drivers back.

Bummer.  We all love Microsoft.  Now if at least the thing would allow
you to make a tape backup...

> 	Is it necessary to jumper the CD as a slave device and if so,
> how can I do that without also having a master?

Yes.  You should have received documentation with your CD-ROM, but
there's a good chance that you didn't.  If that's the case, about your
only chance is to find somebody who knows the jumpering for your
drive.

> 2. The other issue I did not realize when I ordered FreeBSD is the need
> to load it in a partition within the first 500 MB of disk space (or 1024
> cylinders).  Is this always the case with EIDE drives?  I am using a
> Western Digital AC31200 1.2MB HD.

It's not a question of FreeBSD or the drive: it's the system BIOS.
Look at the section on EIDE disks on pages 26-28 of the installation
book for details.  You might be lucky and have a BIOS which understand
64 heads, in which case you can move the end of the root partition up
to 2 GB.

Greg