Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 2003 21:04:08 +0300
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Re: Native JDK with libthr/libkse

hi,

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 12:08:52PM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Alexey Zelkin wrote:
>
> > hi,
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 05:48:15AM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> >
> > > I was more interested in the statement that "jdk is only guaranteed
> > > to work with libc_r" that one of the Java developers posted.  I
> >
> > It only means that I can guarantee correctly working product in
> > environment there're it was tested (i.e. at user threads only level).
> >
> > Don't get me wrong -- I'll be happy to try libthr and libpthread as
> > soon as I'll be able to do it.  Local problems here prevents me
> > from complete cvsup right now :-(  Also I have to make complete
> > pass of TCK tests (at least VM tests -- more than 8000 testsets)
> > before saying anything.
> >
> > > took it to mean that the implementation of our jdk is geared
> > > towards libc_r (perhaps knowing internal stuff about how libc_r
> > > works).  I don't want anything like that to stop us, and we
> > > can add some common APIs to the threads libraries if needed
> > > to support it.
> >
> > I have spent a lot of time to get rid libc_r internals usage
> > in jdk14.  pthread_attr_get_np() was a conclusion and allowed me
> > to switch from API to ABI compat mode.
>
> I looked at the patches for jdk14 and they include the patches for
> jdk13.  The patchset does include pthread_private.h ahd does
> examine internal thread state as well as access registers
> directly from the thread structure.  This is not portable across
> thread libraries.

I'd suggest to take a look again.  All required internal information
is now exported to JVM via pthread_attr_get_np().  Since first days
of February of this year.  Since both libthr and libpthread support
it -- I don't see any principal reason for jdk14 to not to work with
other thread libs.  Absence of deep testing is another issue.