Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 12:28:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jason J. Horton" <jason@intercom.com>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Video CDs?

> > Anyone got any pointers on the format - or tools to produce - CDs in
> > the Video CD format?
>
> I'd like to know that too, the format that is, I need that for burncd :)

http://www.hvrlab.dhs.org/~hvr/vcdimager/
A tool for making VCD images that you can burn using cdrdao.
You need to install /usr/ports/devel/popt and /usr/ports/devel/glib12
(run "ln -s /usr/local/bin/glib12-config /usr/local/bin/glib-config"
so the ./configure script can find our glib) to get it to compile under
-STABLE and -CURRENT....

http://www.munich-vision.de/vcd/
Will compile under FreeBSD, but forgot if I had to tweak anything.
Havent burned an image made by these programs yet.

http://www.nocrew.org/software/vcdpad/index.html
a tool for padding frames to the appropriate length for vcdimager and
mkvcdfs. Very basic tool, no tweaks to get it to compile.

http://www.vcdgear.com/
a much more advanced tool for converting VCD stuff, has a lot of nice
features so its useful for more than just padding frames. Has
a native FreeBSD binary for vcdgear 1.5 (version 2.0 is windows
only at this point), doesnt look like they distribute source.

I have burned a few test VCDs made by vcdimager and am having trouble
getting my standalone Sony DVD player recognizing the VCDs (the author
says my DVD player may not like the CD-R media I am using) but they
work with SimpleVCD for MacOS ($10 shareware) and CyberLink PowerVCD
for Windows. Other people claim success with other players.

Also, vcdimager is fussy about the MPEG format you use as source
for the VCD tracks. The only format that I got to play cleanly was:
        Video 352x288 resolution
        Audio MPEG-1 Layer 2 48kbit/s 44100Hz mono

Your milage may vary on all this, I have only been working with this for a
few days. I cant wait to get my fxtv mpeg capture problems solved so I can
make some nice VCDs....

	-J