Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 2014 04:39:46 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Guy Harrison <gfh@swampdog.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quick ports question

On Sun, 6 Jul 2014 02:44:34 +0100, Guy Harrison wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I've just downloaded FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso & noticed it's
> failing to fetch from /usr/ports/distfiles/..
>
> #cd /usr/ports/shells/bash
> #make install clean
>
> ..but then going to the package source site(s). It's been a while (version 8
> at least) since I've done this. Just wanted to verify this is normal
> behaviour?

This is correct. If the required source files (tarballs or
other archives) are present in the correct version located
in /usr/ports/distfiles, they will be extracted and used.
If not (usually like after the installation), they will be
fetched and stored in /usr/ports/distfiles (for possible
later use, for example when you rebuild a port after a
"make clean").

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany