Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:43:32 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>, lists@brenius.com
Subject:   Re: FDISK Partition Editor & Win2K Dual Boot

_______________________

|_______________________

>Ah --- in that case there should be no problem installing FreeBSD into
>the free space.  I don't know where you got your fdisk output from but
>it doesn't correspond to the diagram above.
>

>> > I suppose your question then is "how can I divide up my current
15Gb
>> > ad0s2 slice into a 5Gb ad0s2 slice and a 10Gb ad0s3 slice,
preserving
>> > the contents of the original ad0s2 into ad0s3, and using the new
ad0s2
>> > for FreeBSD?"
>>
>> In more technical FreeBSD speak, yes! :)
>>
>> Or:
>
>> Since this seems to be more difficult than originally thought, I am
willing to
>> copy all the data off of E: (back it up externally), then delete the E:,
which
>> I am assuming would allow me to install FreeBSD and dual boot with
>> Win2K without loosing anything on C:?
>
>That would work, but probably isn't necessary.
>
>> On a side note, I am not trying to start a flame war, but I am curious
as to
>> why Linux (specifically RedHat 7.3 and newer) was able to install into
the
>> "Free Space" outlined in the diagram above, while FreeBSD does
not
>> seem to be capable of doing so without 3rd party tools?
>
>No --- FreeBSD should be able to install into the empty space given
>that your disk layout is as you have shown it now, and not according
>to the original fdisk output.
>
>Linux would have equivalent difficulty to FreeBSD in the second case,
>splitting up an existing W2K partition and preserving the contents.
>
>	Cheers,
>
>	Matthew

What's described by lists@brenius.com is precisely what showed up in
my FreeBSD fdisk output when I installed W2K on a disk with Win98
already on it.  Windows auto-configures this setup as a primary and
extended partition, and FreeBSD fdisk shows it as leaving no free space
on the disk.  It doesn't matter whether NT/2K/XP is installed directly after
W98 with space left over at the end of the disk, or whether it is installed
as lists@brenius.com has done.

The solution I have used is simply to install FreeBSD second, then W2K
third in the remaining space.  So yes, lists@brenius.com, you have the
right idea.  You can add back your E: partition after installing FreeBSD.

Jud