Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:26:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        pippilongo@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: So many cards, so little to do

In message: <20020917080816.34167.qmail@web12907.mail.yahoo.com>
            David Kulp <pippilongo@yahoo.com> writes:
: I have scavenged from various sources
:
: 1. Orinoco Silver (11Mbps wireless PCMCIA card)
: 2. ISA-PCMCIA bridged (VADEM VG-469)
: 3. 3COM 3CRWE62092A (11 Mbps wireless PCMCIA card with funky
: spring-loaded extendo antenna)
: 4. 2 ZoomAir 4000 (2Mbps wireless PCMCIA card)
: 5. One desktop workstation (with an ISA slot -- hard to come by these
: days -- and a 10BaseT ethernet connection to the outside)
: 6. 3 laptops running various releases of Windows, each with at least
: one PCMCIA slot
:
: You'd think I could do something *interesting* with all this, but so
: far only questions.
:
: I'd like to set up a wireless access point, firewall, and NAT on the
: workstation.

OK.  none of the cards that you've listed are supported by our hostap
mode.

However, the ZoomAir 4000 cards are based on a chipset that just got
hostap support in NetBSD.  I'd like to integrate that, but am a little
short on time for the next few months.

: The ZoomAir cards are recognized by pccardd, but are assigned to the
: 'awi' driver.  This driver seems to be completely non-functional and
: the README in /usr/src seems to suggest as much.

I use awi cards all the time in ad-hoc mode.

: Any help with a driver for ZoomAir 2Mb cards?  Isn't it a PRISM?

PRISM I, which needs its own driver.  NetBSD's driver is better, but
you'd need to port some of the infrastructure from NetBSD to make it
work.

: Why would BSS mode (wicontrol -p 1) work with an ad-hoc network
: configuration?

Sometimes it just does.

: Last, the 3COM card does not support WEP for ad-hoc mode, only for
: access points.  Is this the correct behavior?  I have had no success
: if I set "wicontrol -p 3".

The 3com card shouldn't even work at all on FreeBSD.  It need special
drivers since it isn't based on the same thing that the lucent and
prism2/3 cards are based on.

: So, in summary:
:
: 1. Any advice for the ZoomAir 4000?  Is it PRISM?  What driver is
: recommended?

awi.

: 2. Am I misunderstanding BSS vs ad-hoc?  I find that BSS works with
: Windows clients running "Adhoc" or "peer-to-peer".

likely.  Remember, there are two ad-hoc modes.  There is a demo-ad-hoc
mode and ibss mode.

: 3. Is WEP only for access points, or is 3COM messing with me?

no, wep is for everbody.

: 4. Is it possible to build a wireless access point on a FreeBSD
: computer given the pieces I have?

Not today.

Warner