Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 16:06:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: POSIX Conformance (Unanswered in "questions" so I forwarded...)

> I was reading the pages from Redhat Linux and it said:
>
> "The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), has decided
> to stop charging for their POSIX Conformance Test Suite 151-2, in hopes
> that the POSIX standard may be more broadly applied. Red Hat Software
> applauds the move, and has obtained the suites for consideration. We
> would encourage all Linux developers to take advantage of this
> development. Comments and questions can be directed to Martha Gray
> <gray@sst.ncsl.nist.gov> at NIST."
>
> POSIX was one of the objectives behind 4.4BSD. Will FreeBSD follow this
> tendency? Is it posible to follow it, or BSD is just too different from
> POSIX?

I have a copy of NIST/PCTS, and have run it against OpenBSD.  I've had
a bit of trouble with FreeBSD because TET doesn't "compile right up";
I blame this on FreeBSD, not TET.

Note that having access to the NIST/PCTS is not the same as being
certified.  Certification still requires an authorized testing laboratory
to run the test, and it only applies to a particular release level: the
one tested.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---