Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 12:53:46 +1100
From:      Jim Mock <jim@corp.au.triax.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape Communicator 4.5, username?

On Wed, 03 Feb 1999 at 19:42:08 -0600, David Kelly wrote:
> Got real ambitious this weekend with a fresh "make world" of
> RELENG_3, an update to XFree86 3.3.3.1, and the US FreeBSD native
> version of Netscape Communicator 4.5 (replacing the US Linux version
> 4.07).
>
> Now the dumb Communicator 4.5 pops up a window every few minutes
> informing me,
>
> 	Netscape is unable to use the mail server because
> 	you have not provide a username. Please provide
> 	one in the preferences and try again
>
> I don't have any idea what they are talking about as most ever box
> is filled under Edit->Preferences->Mail & Newsgroups->Identity. And
> the same for Mail Servers where localhost is listed.
>
> Tried a clean ~/.netscape directory. Didn't do any good.
>
> Is it time to revert to the prior version?

Nope.  All you need to do is the following..

Edit -> Preferences -> Mail & Newsgroups -> Mail Servers

Click the host in the Incoming Mail Servers box, then edit.  Add your
username for the mail server in there, and it should shut it up =)

Hope this helps,

--
: Jim Mock			| [jim@corp.au.triax.com]	:
: System Administrator		| http://www.triax.com/		: