Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:52:25 +0400
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Thomas Vogt <thomas@bsdunix.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: who do you install freebsd without sysinstall?

--9ADF8FXzFeE7X4jE

[ added freebsd-questios@ ]

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 02:08:59AM +0200, Thomas Vogt wrote:
> Hello
>=20
> In this emails=20
> <http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D244762+0+current/cvs-src>=
 you=20
> wrote that you don't install freebsd with sysinstall. May I ask you how y=
ou=20
> do this? Maybe in some way like this:=20
> <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/fbsd-from-scratch/>?
>=20
> I'm just curious.
>=20
Plenty of options, depending on the available environment and
needs.

1) Add a spare disk to an existing FreeBSD box, and populate
   it using installworld/installkernel/distribution targets
   and specifying DESTDIR pointing to a mounted spare disk.

2) Boot from live-system on CD-ROM, prepare and partition the
   disk(s), install distributions manually through install.sh
   scripts.

3) Boot from live-system on CD-ROM, prepare and partition the
   disk(s), CVSup, build/install from sources.

4) Boot in a PXE/TFTP/NFS diskless environment (details are
   in the Handbook), install distributions using a shell
   script as above.  Distributions may come from either
   remote CD-ROM media, or be prepared by "make release"
   and made available over NFS to diskless clients.
   A modification of this approach includes a mass deployment
   option that involves writing (relatively simple) local
   installation scripts that automate the tasks.

Many other options...

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov