Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 08:25:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu (Andrew Gallatin), toasty@dragondata.com (Kevin Day), phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serious server-side NFS problem

>     (200-300 MHz) clients.  That's *with* packet loss (for some reason when
>     my fxp ethernets pump data out that quickly they tend to cause packet
>     loss in other parts of my HUBed network, which I find quite annoying).

Interesting you should say that....  I've been playing with some broadcom
based ASIC 100BaseTX full duplex switches and I actually loose more packets
due to overrunning the buffers in the switch than I do if I used a half duplex
standard hub.  :-(

Performance for most things overall on the network is better with the
switch, but direct high bandwidth traffic between 2 machines has suffered
due to the conversion to a fully switched network.

Seems FreeBSD (using dc21143 based cards) can pump data around so damn
fast that the switch can't keep up :-(.  I need to do some more testing
to find out if this occurs between ports on the same ASIC or only when
packets have to go out to the ASIC to ASIC bridge bus.

Also how do the fxp and dc based cards respond to flow control?
Do we obey it?  Do the cards even understand it?

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net