Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:48:51 +0200
From:      <Gergely.Kosa@nokia.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <Gergely.Kosa@nokia.com>
Subject:   Cannot setup an NIS Client following documentation

Hi,

I am desperately trying to set up an NIS Client on FreeBSD.

First, I have read and followed the "Setting Up an NIS Client Section" =
but it did not work. It has come out that the NIS server is on another =
subnet and that's why the client cannot find it.

Then, I have found how to set the IP address of the NIS server in the =
"NIS servers that are also NIS clients" section (It was hard to find it, =
since it is another topic...), but it also seems unusable in practice.

The phenomenon is the same:

Boot is very slow. Logging in and 'su' also. 'ypcat passwd' waits very =
long then telling:
'ypcat: no such map passwd.byname. reason: Can't bind to server which =
serves this domain'

It is all the same if I set things in rc.conf, or start ypbind manually. =
('ypbind -S <domain>,<server>' no spaces)

There cannot be problem with either the server or the NIS domain name, =
because other clients are working quite well with it, running Linux and =
not FreeBSD.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance:
Gergely

                          (o o)               Application
Gergely K=F3sa             (  V  )         Support Engineer