Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 1995 20:44:25 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Re: New userconfig

Bruce Evans stands accused of saying:
> Note that userconfig can't use special values to decide which values can be
> changed, since it needs to be able to change to and from all values.
> Currently unadvertised driver capablities determine which values actually
> make sense.

Given that the driver parameters are unadvertised, special values have to be
used, unless you care to suggest an alternative form of telepathy.

> The -1 and -2 above are back to front.  -1 has always meant `?'
> (autoconfig).  There is a special rule for this in config/lang.l.

No problem; I'll use -1 for auto, and -2 for none.  The distinction needs
to be made either way.

> Drivers should never use compiled in defaults for this, but they may use
> values read from firmware.

Some drivers, as has already been established, need to use compiled-in
defaults in order to function usefully in this imperfect world 8(

> `none' is a verbose alternative to `'.  I think nonspecified parameters
> always have a value of -1 except in cases where 0 is more natural (for
> pointers and bitmaps).

Is anything specific going to break if nonspecified parameters become -2,
rather than -1?

> I think you'll eventually have to modify device tables in 1001 drivers.

Indeed; however before I commit bloody murder on the statically defined
device attributes, I'd like some input from those with a little more
experience 8)

(I'd also like some reassurance that I can 'make world' -current from -stable
and have a reasonable chance of getting somewhere, so that I can get in step
with the current state of the art)

> Bruce

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[