Date:      Wed, 08 Nov 2000 13:12:13 -0600
From:      Jeremy Vandenhouten <jeremy.vandenhouten@marquette.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DNS Setup

In setting up 1 of the 2 dns servers required for taking control of a
domain. Is setting up one behind a firewall constitute a valid option?
More info to follow:

Lucent Router ------ FreeBSD NAT firewall --------- DNS Server

I know I need to tell the firewall to redirect port 53 both forwards
and backwards for the DNS server.

A case in point, assuming I was on the outside of the Lucent Router and
wanted to use the internal DNS server (192.168.x.x) from another
FreeBSD box, where would I point it at because obviously the DNS server
doesn't have a legitimate external "Internet IP."

The question is easy if I'm internal behind the firewall, I could just
point directly at the 192.168.x.x address, but that's not the situation
I'm looking at. Or, alternatively, is there a better way of setting
this up without putting the DNS server on the firewall machine.

Thanks for any input...