Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 12:30:53 -0400
From:      Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Cc:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A Call to Action for freebsd-java...

On Thursday 27 June 2002 11:21am, Greg Lewis wrote:
> For those who are interested there are currently 19 compiler failures
> and 183 runtime failures that stand in the way of a binary release.  As
> I mentioned above, many of the runtime failures are bogus and are due
> to an exec bug (the tests pass when they are run by hand).

Thank you, that's the sort of information I was curious about.

Unfortunately I can't help out here as much as I would like to;  I'm a systems
manager by trade, too stupid at this juncture to understand that kind of
code.

> In short, its not a matter of status quo, its just that there hasn't been
> a real justification for another patchset before Bill's HotSpot stuff.

Fair enough.  My last email was not in any way a criticism.  You guys are
doing above and beyond.   My hunch was that we didn't have many people on the
team to move things along (and I was right).   I'm sure most people on this
list who depend on the native JVM probably weren't sure of this either.

Perhaps if  this issue (# of committers/size of team) can remain a hot button,
word might circulate, and we can get some more warm bodies added to the
effort.   Without at least 2 more people in the mix, my guess is we won't be
making progress.

I will check around to see if anyone I know can help out.

Cheers,
--
Dylan Carlson [absinthe@pobox.com]