Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 01:30:04 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Ryan Masse <mail@max-info.net>
Cc:        Gerard Samuel <trini0@optonline.net>, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mysql tcp connection

That's a rather knock-down, drag-out approach to security. You basically
removed all restrictions on what host a user can connect from. You may
have also remove all access restrictions altogether. Have you attempted
remote login without any username or password to make sure it will deny
you?
While this may have been what you intended for youself. I don't
personally recommend that everyone use that approach.
Take the time to understand the MySQL security model before you put the
box into production. There are some excellent tutorials on the MySQL web
site. I also heavily recommend setting up a test box and playing with
the permissions for a while until you know what you're doing through
experience.
Remember, you too can be a statistic.

--
If a bird in the hand