Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 16:16:23 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        Ryan Davis <ryand-bsd@zenspider.com>, Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mergemaster mtree:No such file or directory

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 03:48:45PM -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
> > I think giving mergemaster(8) a PATH that includes all of the tools it
> > needs to run is not a lot to ask.
>
> it would more normal to this over-attenuated hacker to give commands
> explicit paths

Again, I think this is a bad idea. I see places one might want to take
advangate of PATH. Example:

You have a computer with two FreeBSD systems living on it. They are
different versions. You totally bork one system and boot from the
second system to repair the first. The mtree(8) files (or other tools)
on the first system (the one being saved) are not compatible with the
binaries on the running, recovery system. You can set the PATH as
appropriate to run the binaries on the other system (in concert with
-m and -D) and repair the messed up system despite incompatibilities.
(Sure, you could still have compatibility problems, but this is one
place you have the ability to configure it as you wish.)